Preventive Maintenance Optimization Process
The Preventive Maintenance Optimization process can benefit every facility. Preventive maintenance is any maintenance we do to prevent further, more consequential maintenance. Efficient and effective preventive maintenance keeps production moving and minimizes downtime.
Maintenance Strategy Methodologies
Boiling it down to the ‘big three’ universally accepted methodologies for developing a maintenance strategy for your equipment, each has a core targeted purpose:
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis – FMEA, is generally a practice used for a ‘green field’ or a new facility. For example, building a new building on a vacant lot, and installing all new equipment. This is a ‘green field’ in that you start, literally, with a green field. In FMEA, you would consider everything that could possibly go wrong with everything. That gets boiled down to priorities using the Risk Priority Number (RPN) and further clarified, if desired, through FMECA – adding in ‘criticality’.
- Reliability Centered Maintenance Principles – RCM is generally a practice used for a ‘white paper’ or a new piece of equipment project. For example, you are going to design, build, and install a new asset (press, conveyor, 747 airplane). You are literally starting with a blank sheet of ‘white paper’ – thus the ‘white paper reference. In RCM, you would consider everything that could possibly go wrong with this new machine.
- Preventive Maintenance Optimization Process – often referred to simply as PMO, is generally a practice used for an existing plant or facility, with existing equipment, that has a history of failures and an established PM program (for better or worse). The major focus of Preventive Maintenance Optimization PMO is to eliminate all the failures we’ve had in the past, and then concentrate on what else could possibly go wrong (see FMEA, FMECA, RCM).
Maintenance Innovators, Inc. has seen typical results showing an average of 20% less in off-line PM time requirements, netting more operational time. Additionally, PM tasks are focused on failure modes and not failures, resulting in the identification of failures in the process of failing with time to plan and schedule corrective maintenance.
Preventive Maintenance Optimization Process Workshops
Preventive Maintenance Optimization PMO is typically handled as a workshop. After some training to align our thinking, we are going to get to work on:
- Enhancing your PMs and your PM return on investment.
- We are going to align your PM tasks with failure modes.
- We are going to attack what is truly is ‘eating your lunch’
Your PM tasks and work orders will be enhanced to:
- Identify one failure mode and one preventive/predictive strategy to counter with.
- Align failure modes with PM strategies.
- Find the most effective and efficient PM strategy to minimize interruption to production and net what W. Edwards Deming referred to as “Constancy of Purpose.”
- Standardize the approach to executing PMs on common components.
- Identify tasks better accomplished by operators, this is autonomous maintenance.
During a successful Preventive Maintenance Optimization process workshop, it is virtually impossible not to include a frank and open conversation about storeroom support for the assets. That discussion should be welcomed and expected.
Maintenance Innovators, Inc. has over thirty-six years of experience building and executing highly effective and efficient preventive maintenance programs. Preventive maintenance is the singularly most important responsibility of maintenance.
Call (913) 633-4009 or click here now and let us work with you as a valued partner to build a Preventive Maintenance Optimization PMO practice that delivers the much-needed guarding of your asset’s inherent reliability. The results of your PMs should be the number one input into your planning and scheduling. Let’s get that done! Your first step is a call away.
Subscribe to Dr. John’s Maintenance Minute on YouTube for informative videos about reliability and maintenance topics: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtc52hs3OwKQFLvLVW_WVTQ